Preventing Textile Waste
Textile waste is a major issue that grows in magnitude every year. Every year in the United States alone, billions of pounds of textiles end up in landfills. Much of that waste could be reused or recovered, and Textile Extraction Xperts is committed to being a part of the solution.
During the disaster recovery process, service providers like TEX can often save valuable and sentimental textiles after fires and floods, thereby reducing the amount of textile waste headed to landfills. Recovering bedding, clothing, linens, and other soft goods post-disaster also saves money versus paying for new items.
Textile Waste Statistics
The environmental impact of textile waste grows every year. Over the past 20 years, America’s volume of clothing waste has doubled. Every year, the average American is personally responsible for 80 pounds of textile waste. Many textiles that go to landfills leach dangerous chemicals into the ground and release greenhouse gases into the air. And, since it takes about 200 years for the average garment to decompose, clothing causes long-term damage to the environment as it breaks down.
Where Does Textile Waste Go?
The Environmental Protection Agency’s textile waste statistics are staggering. In 2018, Americans generated 17 million tons of textile waste. What happened to those soft goods when they were discarded?
- 15% (or 2.5 million tons) of discarded textiles were recycled.
- 19% (or 3.2 million tons) were combusted for energy recovery.
- The other 66% (11.3 million tons) went into landfills.
Improve Your Bottom Line and Reduce Textile Waste
What can be done when a piece of clothing is damaged? A flood or fire often destroys some textiles beyond repair. But discarding and replacing all affected textiles is not the only solution.
Smoke, soot, and mold are no match for TEX. Following disaster events, we can restore leather jackets, rugs, antique wedding dresses, blankets, cotton T-shirts, and everything in between. We support the triple bottom line by adding financial, personal, and environmental value to the disaster recovery process.
- Profit : We reduce costs and help close files faster for insurance adjusters by providing textile recovery services that cost less than textile replacement.
- People: Our recovery process is quick and effective, which returns families and businesses back to normal faster. We can prioritize certain items for faster return, making the recovery process a little easier for the insured.
- Planet: TEX uses only gentle, eco-friendly products and processes to bring soft goods back to life after a disaster. This keeps affected textiles out of landfills, thereby reducing the environmental impact after a loss.
Textile Restoration Near Me
When searching for a textile restoration partner, count on TEX. Our cleaning, deodorizing, and sanitizing processes restore a wide range of soft goods to their pre-loss condition. Visit our Textiles Services page to learn more or call 888-269-0683 to speak with a TEX representative.